Wednesday, August 20, 2008

That cute little town...Sibu


On Sunday, my mother told me we were going back to Sibu. I was shocked. Going for a long trip on such short notice? But what the heck, I'm always up for an adventure!

We went back to visit my grandparents and other relatives as well as to enjoy the peace and quiet of small-town life. However, Sibu isn't quite that small anymore and changes faster than a traffic light changes colors. Another (negative) example of how Sibu has changed is that some of the people, especially the younger generation, aren't as friendly as before. Although this may be generalizing, we bumped into enough unfriendly salespeople to convince us. Nevertheless, know that Sibu is still as decent a town as any and most people are still friendly, so don't think I'm badmouthing it.

Instead of describing the trip chronologically and ever so boringly, I would like to instead highlight the main points of my trip. On the first day, we went to have a walk after dinner at Taman Jubilee, this nice little park that beats most of the attempts at parks that Kuching has made. It truly was a beautiful place and the climb to the top was immensely refreshing!

We also went around Sibu town the next day, hunting for cheap bargains and prices. It was at some of the shops that we met some unfriendly "sales promoters". That night, my grandfather treated us to a nice, fancy dinner at the restaurant known as Sheraton Restaurant. It was a multi-course meal, but the dishes were great and delicious. There was seafood, yam, chicken, pork and all sorts of beautiful things to savor and behold. I must have put on a few pounds that night; time to burn it all off in Kuching!

I was never really good at describing trips, so I'll let the pictures speak for me. All in all, it was a fun and enjoyable experience going back to Sibu.

A view of Taman Jubilee

Reached the top! And...

...We can see the beautiful sunset.

Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom, anyone?

Now, it's Pirates of the Caribbean...ok this is lame...
People feeding the fish.

My family decided to join in.

Look at all the fishies!

Wisma Sanyan, the tallest building in Sarawak.

The extended family gathered together at the restaurant.

Scrumptious, seafood mixed-dish.

Shark's fin with egg. No soup!

My sister and I. Cute, isn't she?

3 comments:

Capablanca said...

Gerard, don't care about your weight. Must eat more. You'll appreciate all the cheap food in Sibu. The food here is enough to make you puke blood, too damn expensive.

ComicGuy89 said...

Oh, how's the food in over in US? Expensive surely, haha, but is it good?

sulinn said...

yes, very cute!